The people from the HiRISE camera on board the Mars Reconnaissance Orbiter just released their own software for viewing the images: HiView. HiView can be easily used within ArcGIS 10. You need to follow these steps:
- Download the HiRISE footprints shapefile here from the Mars Orbital Data Explorer.
- Add the shapefile to ArcMap.
- Go to Layer Properties > Display. Select ‘Support Hyperlinks using field’. Select Script and click on Edit. Add the following script:
Function OpenLink ( [Ext2URL] )
pathHiView = “C:\\Program Files\\HiView\\HiView.exe”
argHiView = “-Image ” & [Ext2URL]
Set objShell = CreateObject(“Shell.Application”)
objShell.ShellExecute pathHiView, argHiView, “”, “open”, 1
- In ArcGIS click on the Hyperlink button (the lightning icon) and select a footprint.
- HiView opens and the selected HiRISE image is loaded.